Thursday, December 3, 2009

Parliament director sees strength at the grassroots level



By Olivia Ware
New Thought News Service

As I crept along a conference center wall Friday morning, looking for another glimpse  of enlightenment, a gentleman asked me about my position here at the Parliament. 
After initial greetings and my brief explanation of the New Thought News Service, he introduced himself as Dirk Ficca. Suddenly, I was conversing with the director of the Parliament of the World's Religions himself. And once I had gathered my thoughts, the questions began to flow. 
Ficca told me that since the first modern Parliament, in Chicago in 1993, the Parliament has become more metropolitan and focuses increasingly on grassroot efforts and commitment.
He hopes participants bring their experiences of the Melbourne gathering to their "corners of the world," and that nothing will be left behind, that the learning and the love shared in Australia will transcend the Parliament.
Future Parliaments, Ficca said, will pay "more attention to linking religions" in the areas of business and communication. Speakers at the Thursday  night opening ceremony noted that the faith-based communities are in a good position to help solve some of the world's pressing problems, but can't do the needed work in isolation.
Ficca agreed, saying religion has an "indispensable contribution to make, but not alone."

Dirk Ficca speaks with Sri Karunamayi, a 
presenter at a Friday morning panel.




No comments:

Post a Comment